I am not usually a DIY lady! Sometimes I wish I was and i’m often jealous of all the DIY happening these days but I’m a busy wife, mom and entrepreneur so I tend to choose to focus my time doing things I am good at, which is rarely DIY anything! I truly appreciate when household things can be done simply and quickly and these very simple, inexpensive, and powerful cleaning and disinfectant wipes take less than 5 minutes!
Many people love the Clorox Wipes, Lysol Wipes, toilet wipes, surface wipes… the list goes on and on. If it’s a wipe, usually people love it! But they can get pretty pricey, not to mention highly toxic, so I wanted to share my easy way of making your own for just pennies of solution per canister! The paper towels are the only real expense with this project since I repurpose old canisters, like the Shaklee 180 protein canisters which are the perfect size for this!
Clorox or Lysol Wipes – Approximately $2.99-$4.99 per canister of 35 wipes
DIY Basic G Wipes – Approximately $.45 to $.65 per canister of 48-50 wipes, depending on the cost of the paper towels
When choosing a cleaning solution, I absolutely love the entire Get Clean line, it encompasses all of my mandatory cleaning guidelines:
I love Shaklee’s Get Clean wipes, there are two different types. The Basic H2 wipe is a multi-purpose (like hundreds of uses) and the Germ Off wipe is a disinfecting wipe that kills germs and bacteria. These sit high on my shelf and I only use them when i’m in a hurry because I saver each and every one. They are a little more expensive so I splurge on them from time to time but honestly, the cleaning concentrates that you dilute into spray bottles are super convenient also but there’s just something about a wipe that makes cleaning seem easier, right?
To make your own wipes, it costs just pennies of the same cleaning solution, so if you have 5 minutes go ahead and whip up some of these wonderful and crazily inexpensive wipes! (Yep, that’s all it took me! 5 minutes!)
Here’s exactly how to do it, all of the details are below!
The Details –
1. Repurpose a Canister with a lid- The Shaklee 180 Protein Canisters are the perfect size for this project, the paper towels fit perfectly!
2. Remove the label of the canister
3. Relabel the canister with fun designs, stickers or wrap it in fancy paper or ribbon, whatever brings you a smile! I easily remove the label from Shaklee’s Germ Off wipe canister to use for this project because the two products are very similar, but the Basic G kills a larger variety of germs, pathogens and bacteria.
4. Cut a full paper towel roll in half with a serrated knife. Put the dry paper towels (including the cardboard middle tube) into the canister.
5. Mix the disinfectant solution of:
3/8 tsp of Basic G (just a tiny bit less than a 1/2 tsp)
16 oz of water
6. Pour disinfectant solution into the canister so the paper towels are completely saturated.
7. Gently remove the middle cardboard roll from the paper towels and canister
8. Slightly pull up the inside paper towel, closest to the middle, that pops up when you are removing the cardboard roll. Place lid on the canister and you are done! Super easy right?!